Sunday, March 11, 2012

Some more photography - Rogue Trader and Stargrunt

 
This afternoon I thought I'd break out the Optex portable studio again (this time using the white background) and take a few pictures of some recently painted stuff. First up are some Imperial Space Marines from the Rogue Trader era.

I reckon the chap on the left will make a decent force commander for the 30-odd metal Space Marines I've got painted up as Howling Griffons. I just love the character of these old RT Marines - when I look at them I see something quite far from the current fluff of 8-foot tall death machines - I see hard nuts in power armour, but human hard nuts. Someone pointed out that most of the illustrations of Space Marines in the original Rogue Trader book featured them dying horribly, and I think that is so cool. These guys are out there fighting for the Imperium and knowing full well that the odds totally favour them dying in some terrible way. That, my friends, is grim darkness!
Here are some more GZG NAC Royal Marines for the Hammer's Slammers project. These are some heavy weapons troopers with command.

I reckon I'll add an aerial to the comms trooper on the left. This makes six troopers painted and I'm anxious to reinforce them and get the Slammers onto the battlefields of Spacekrieg.

6 comments:

Greg B said...

Awesome dude. Great painting - and that photo thing is clearly awesome.

private wierd said...

They look great!! I love Rogue Trader Era everything! And nice to see the Stargrunt II troops too. I look forward to seeing them in one of your fantastic battlereports. I am a big fan of your site. Thank you.

The Angry Lurker said...

I used to have those marines, lovely work and I hope to get my lighting fix purchased soon....

El repartidor. said...

I bought, one month ago, a box full of roge trader miniatures, marines, slann, squats, orks, ratlings, imperial guard, to one of my club partners. Minis, from 1985 to 1994, more or less.

Dai said...

Always happy to see a nice paint job on RT sculpts. A VERY cool camo on that marine armour - don't understand why the current model of marines have stopped using camo?

Curt said...

Great looking minis! I'm totally in agreement with you in regards to the old fluff re the Space Marines - I liked them much better when they were more human. It made all the horrific shit they did/sacrificed for their humanity that more grim.

As a suggestion for your photos, you may want do dial-down the exposure level on your camera as the shots are bit blown-out by the white background.